Friday, January 15, 2010

Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies

One of the food blogs I follow, Joy the Baker, posted a recipe for Peanut Butter bacon Cookies back in September and given my love of both peanut butter and bacon, I just HAD to try them! In the spirit of adventure, and spreading my "baking wings," I figured it was something new and different, and worst case scenario, icky and at least I could say I tried! I also used to make bacon cheeseburgers spread with peanut butter on the buns years ago for a friend of mine and I, and we LOVED those, so it was worth a shot. But peanut butter and bacon, Desi?! (I know, I can just hear you saying it now...sounds crazy, weird or disgusting, right?)



1 cup all-natural chunky or smooth peanut butter (I used Laura Scudder's Smooth Peanut Butter)
1 cup sugar (1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
about 6 slices of bacon, cooked, cooled and diced

In a skillet over medium high heat, fry up bacon until cooked through and let cool on paper towels until cool enough to dice. Dice up and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Grease a baking sheet with butter (I used Pam) and set aside. In a mixer combine peanut butter and sugars until well combined, about two minutes. Add egg and baking soda and mix for another two minutes. Fold in cooked bacon. Roll into large walnut sized balls and create a cris-cross pattern with fork. If you's like, roll the dough balls in granulated sugar before making the cris-cross pattern. Bake for ten minutes, until lghtly browned. (mine took twelve minutes here in Tucson) Cool on a baking sheet for five minutes then transfer to...your mouth.

Final verdict: next time I think I will be using better quality bacon that crisps up better (I used Bar-S this time, VETO!) Also I am going to try crunchy peanut butter and not rolling the balls of dough in sugar before I "fork" them to death *laughs*

No comments:

Post a Comment